Sunday, April 11, 2004

This year is my first one of Anglican Holy Week services, and it's been quite an experience.

Last night, I went to my first ever Easter Vigil (This one was an abbreviated version of the 1979 BCP Great Vigil of Easter) at Small Continuing Anglican Church (name changed as you might remember). It started with us outside as the priest lit a fire (with charcoal! only in Texas), then poured incense on it. The fire lit the Paschal candle and our candles. Then we all participated in a procession behind the candle into the sanctuary and stood in front for the first part of the service.

At the end, we renewed our baptismal vows. Then the priest came down the aisle and sprinkled us with holy water with his aspergillum to remind us of our baptism.

As I said afterwards, "That was fun." Incense, processions, candles, holy water -- next thing you know I'll be Cartholick!

No comments: