Thursday, August 18, 2005

Cindy Sheehan, go home.

I can’t hold my tongue about Ms. Sheehan any longer. First of all, I recognize that losing a son for any reason is a hard thing. So I’ve been slow to criticize her.

But, frankly, she has lost all my sympathy with her pretentious sit-in outside President Bush’s ranch demanding a meeting with him for one big reason:

The President already has met with her!

Thousands upon thousands of families have lost sons to war through the years. It’s a hard thing and worthy of recognition. And the government and a number of organizations do recognize that in a number of ways. But only a few get a meeting from the president. Ms. Sheehan is already among those few.

But among all those families I don’t know of a single person who has had the chutzpah to demand not one, but two meetings with the president . . . until now.

It’s a sorry reflection on the news media that you usually have to dig deep into their stories to find out she has already met with the President if it’s mentioned at all. That’s a pretty important fact in this story, is it not? Yet it was only about a week ago that I first noticed she already had a meeting.

And as for what this circus says about the Michael Moore Left who is treating this woman like a heroine and a martyr . . . . Well, I best leave what I think to your imagination.

And Ms. Sheehan’s antics hardly honor her son. Since he volunteered for military service, I suspect he would appalled by his mother’s act and how she is willingly letting herself be used by people who oppose close to everything he fought for. Not to mention her outrageous statements, such as saying the U. S. would be a fascist state if it weren’t for the internet and calling the 2004 elections "the election, quote-unquote, that happened in November."

I can respect many of those who have problems with the war in Iraq. I certainly respect those struggling with the loss of a son in war. But I can’t respect someone who thinks she is so frickin’ special that she is entitled to two meetings with the president and pitches a public fit if she doesn’t get them.

It’s past time for Cindy Sheehan to go home. And if she would take that Lefty circus with her it would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: