Tuesday, February 21, 2006

”Leaving the Shire”

Many conservatives in the Episcopal Church USA are struggling with the question of whether to stay in or leave ECUSA. And I’ve wrestled with that question here although it’s not a decision I have to make personally.

But here’s an interesting alternative view that hasn’t been discussed much: perhaps conservatives would do well to “leave the shire,” join the fight, and join the Episcopal Church.

If one is not in any way aiding apostasy and if one is not endangering the spiritual health of oneself or (especially) one’s family, there is something to be said for this approach. (Yes, those are big “if”s.)

When I was moving the past couple years, I did actually check out local ECUSA parishes from a distance, if you can believe that. But I felt the bishop over this area was too much of a fence-sitter and therefore had little confidence in the diocese.

And I remembered how upset I was by doings in the Presbyterian Church when I was in that denomination. And I thought it unwise to put myself through that again. I just don’t think I have the stomach for it. Maybe that’s not the godliest consideration, but there you go.

If I were still in the Diocese of Dallas, I might now be a member of an ECUSA parish, however. I’ve made no secret of how much I love St. David’s and Smokey Matt’s. But that’s probably a different situation than what the couple in the article joined. I doubt I have the temperament to do what they are doing.

But their decision is certainly honorable and worthy of consideration even if one might not agree and be able to do the same thing.

No comments: