Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ECUSA House of Bishops Meeting with a Difference

Well, the ECUSA House of Bishops meeting over the weekend surprised me and other orthodox Anglicans by serving up more that the usual blah blah listen blah blah study blah dialogue blah blah resolutions.

They actually took what at least appears to be real steps toward complying with the Windsor Report. They will submit a number of resolutions to General Convention that actually include the word “repent” and admit DEPO is inadequate to meet the needs of dissenting orthodox parishes. In addition, it appears there might be a hold forthcoming on same-sex blessings and further partnered gay bishops.

I don’t know quite what to think of this. And the orthodox are far from one mind on this development as you can see from the comments over at titusonenine.

Many orthodox in ECUSA were assuming, as I was, that General Convention would at best be a fudgefest or, if not, a libfest. But now, it appears very possible neither will be the case. And that would make choices for many orthodox much less clear and more difficult.

Of course, it would be a wonderful thing if this is part of a beginning of ECUSA’s return to orthodoxy. But one would have to be optimistic indeed to think that.

Like I said, I’m at a loss what to think. I do know I'm surprised.

I made a point to pray for the faithful orthodox in ECUSA this morning.

No comments: