Thursday, July 19, 2007

Blue Guide Oxford and Cambridge

In anticipation of my Autumn (I’ve been repeatedly informed that’s the correct English term, not “Fall”.) in Oxford, I’ve gotten out my Blue Guide Oxford and Cambridge that I used for my Advent 2005 pilgrimage. And I’m once again impressed by what an excellent guide it is. It certainly far exceeds any other guide to OxCam that I’ve come across. And it will travel with me again.

If you have the least interest in the history and architecture of the two towns, I pound the table and insist you get this book! It’s very helpful with both the big picture and such details as what’s what in this hall or that chapel. For example, there’s over three pages on Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, with a wealth of information on when this and that was constructed and by whom. And there is an additional four pages (small print) on the rest of the college of Christ Church.

The guide also has plenty of useful information such as the usual opening times at the various colleges. And there’s a number of helpful maps. It does not at all neglect the logistics of touring the two towns. I think I found both my hotels from this book in 2005 and was pleased with both.

I’ve found it tells me almost all I need to know and gives a good education on Oxford and Cambridge. Yet, the guide is small in size, 7.6 x 4.4 x 0.6 inches. I found it easy to carry around as I walked about. And you will want to carry it around.

Do I need to say more? Well, yes. This guide is not easy to find in the U. S. And it can take way over a month for Amazon to deliver. So if you’re traveling to England, order it well ahead of time. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments: