Friday, July 04, 2008

Jesse Helms, R.I.P.

I just read the news that Jesse Helms, U. S. Senator from North Carolina from 1973 t0 2003 died this Fourth of July morning at the age of 86.

He was a great and courageous American. I’m proud that I worked in his political network in the 1982 and 1984 elections. (The 1984 Helms-Hunt Senate race was the most expensive U. S. Senate campaign up to that time, by the way, and was very interesting to be in the middle of.)

I think the Lord sent a message by taking him on the Fourth of July. May he rest in peace.

Here is an interesting book review article on him.

1 comment:

REC CHIP said...

Mark,

We have lost a great american.

Sen. Helms was a great leader. I worked in North Carolina Politics in the 1988-1992 time frame but had known him during my years in Tennessee Politics. Also, I was very good friends with James (Jimmy) Broughton who was his Chief of Staff late in his career. (We worked together at Wake Forest College Republicans.)

Senator Helms was a true southern Gentleman. He was a man of the people and, contrary to what many folks assume, he was NOT A RACIST AT ALL!!!