Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Michaelmas and Oxbridge

Today is Michaelmas. And that turns my thoughts, not only to angels, but to Oxford and Cambridge. For one thing, the beginning of their first terms comes right after Michaelmas. Hence the name “Michaelmas Term.”

Michaelmas brings back memories of my excitement at the beginning of Oxford’s academic year back in 2007. And of enjoying a wonderful Michael-mass at Little St. Mary’s in Cambridge.

Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about England and Oxford. Earlier this year, I was thinking of touring in England around this time, visiting York, Durham, and Lincoln, on the way to self-study for a few weeks in Oxford. But, for a number of reasons, I eventually concluded there would be better years for that, perhaps next year.

But I forgot to tell my heart I don’t belong in Oxford about now. In recent weeks, I’ve literally been dreaming of spending a term in Oxford. The Oxford in my dreams of late is quite different than the real Oxford for strange and unfathomable reasons. But the excitement and anticipation of being there is very real.

I’m beginning to ramble. But you can see that Michaelmas is turning my thoughts to Oxford.

No comments: