Friday, February 01, 2013

Downfall V: Majority Thinks Feds Threaten Freedom


Obama has not been shy about trying to lessen personal freedom through Obamacare, higher taxes, gun control, etc.  And although he got away with that last November, his continuing in that vein could easily backfire on him.  Most Americans still like their freedom, and many still have enough backbone to defend it.

And now a Pew Poll finds most Americans see the federal government as a threat to their personal freedom for the first time in at least two decades.   And it’s not really close.  53% see the feds as a threat to their freedom; 43% don’t.  This is a very significant shift in public sentiment about the federal government.

With the American love for freedom and insistence on it, I think this poll indicates an environment ripe for an angry political uprising against Obama.  Although the numbers of those who are content with being slaves on the liberal plantation have sadly increased, I still think enough Americans demand freedom to bring down a regime that constantly undermines it.

“Don’t tread on me” is not just an old slogan.

-----

Downfall is an ongoing series anticipating and tracking what I expect will be the self-destruction of Obama.

The first post may be found here.  The series may be found here.

3 comments:

Warren said...

And last June it was 51%, yet Obama was handily re-elected.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/may_2012/51_see_federal_government_as_threat_to_their_rights

And why would you make the leap to "bring down a regime" instead of advocating for the use of democratic instruments? I obviously don't understand certain American conservative minds. Jump the shark comes to mind.

If I believed you represented more than a tiny minority of your fellow citizens, it would make me nervous to ponder Canada's superpower neighbour full of maniacal people on the verge of revolt. But I believe Obama will not self destruct and that he will serve out his term without the US self destructing either. We'll see who's right in four years.

Mark said...

Warren, you should know full well there are non-violent, Constitutional means to bring down or greatly weaken a presidency.

But I'll trade you Obama for Harper.

wannabe

Warren said...

Point taken, but "Constitutional means" and regime appear very oxymoronic to me.

On balance, I don't mind Harper, and I accept that the majority of my fellow citizens viewed him as the best choice. But given the sort of judgments I've seen you make against Liberals, do you really want someone who, in many ways, is much more liberal than Obama?