Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Rep. Blake Farenthold: "I Don't Think Mr. Holder Should Be Here"

Obama’s Attorney General Eric Holder went up to Capitol Hill yesterday.  Most of the press attention was on a confrontation between him and Rep. Louis Gohmert.  But I find a statement by my Congressman, Blake Farenthold, more significant.

Farenthold declined to ask any questions, saying Eric Holder should not even be there and should not even be paid since he has been found in contempt of Congress.  Further, he rightly suggested jail rather than the hearing room would be a more appropriate abode for Holder.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

You know, I understand that this Committee has the constitutional duty of oversight over the Department of Justice and that's why we have Mr. Holder here today – but I don't think I can be a part of eroding the constitutional balance of power, favoring the executive over the legislative.

I don't think Mr. Holder should be here. He's in contempt of this body. I've called for his resignation, I've sponsored articles of impeachment and, this week, I'm going to be introducing legislation that would prevent federal employees who are held in contempt of Congress or who fail to fully comply with a Congressional subpoena from being paid their taxpayer-funded salary. I'm going to try and get that [the legislation] included with the appropriations bills that’ll be going through.

I’m committed to maintaining the constitutional balance of power and the authority this branch – this Legislative Branch – has, and I just don’t think it’s appropriate [that] Mr. Holder be here. If an American citizen had not complied with one of the Justice Department subpoenas, they would be in jail – not sitting here testifying.

But I realize there are questions to be asked, and I’ll yield the remainder of my time to Mr. Gowdy.

It was a needful statement, said with a sense of sadness more than anger.  Perhaps that is why it is not getting much press.  But watch for yourself.


No comments: