Monday, September 29, 2014

10th Anniversary: Michaelmas

I have not posted on this 10th Anniversary year of this blog lately.  But Michaelmas, the Feast of Michael and All Angels, today brings back memories of times in Oxford and Cambridge as it has before.  For Michaelmas marks the beginning of the academic years of those two great universities (Hence, both name their Autumn terms “Michaelmas term”.), and I’ve shared in the excitement of that in 2007 and 2011.

2007 was particularly auspicious as I spent Michaelmas weekend in Cambridge when the University was just starting the academic year. (Cambridge starts a week earlier than Oxford, where I was studying.)  It was excellent attending services at King’s College and a Michaelmas service at Little St. Mary’s.  The whole weekend recharged my batteries and restored my joy before returning and diving into the taxing work of Oxford’s Michaelmas Term.

Michaelmas still prompts me to dream of England, particularly Oxford, as I indeed literally did again last night.


I suspect I will be in Cambridge and Oxford with anticipation again one Michaelmas.

No comments: