Monday, December 22, 2014

10th Anniversary: Christmases Past

Long time readers know Christmas is important to me – and I can get downright insufferable about it.  In keeping with that, I thought this 10th Anniversary year of this blog would be a good time to look back at past Christmasy posts.

My first Christmas as an Anglican and the first one of this blog was bittersweet.  On Christmas Eve and the day itself, I missed out on having an Anglican churchy Christmas, and I was disappointed about that.

But then I walked into a favorite Anglican church the 1st Sunday after Christmas, and I discovered Christmas is a season.  I got my churchy Christmas after all.

My next Christmas Eve was my first one to participate in a Lessons and Carols service (as I will this Christmas Eve).

My 2007 studies in Oxford brought about a tutorial paper that is one of the best things I’ve written, if I may say so myself.  It ties together the Black Death with our celebration of Christmas today, if you can imagine that.

I’ve mentioned I have a weakness for Christmas lights.

I’ve excoriated Christmastime abominations, religious, political, and retail.

I’ve created and used a chant for Christmas Eve.

And, of course, I’ve fretted over when I should allow Advent to become Christmasy.

Yes, it’s been good to be an Anglican at Christmas.

But I cannot let this Christmas pass without mentioning a past Christmas far more memorable than any of mine.  This Christmas Eve will be the 100th anniversary of the Christmas Truce near the beginning of World War I.  I recommend this BBC documentary.  


That was a bittersweet Christmas indeed.


May you have a memorable and happy Christmas.

No comments: