Monday, September 14, 2015

About Support of Jeremy Corbyn

Due to pressing ministry duties, I cannot go into the subject in detail.  But the election of Jeremy Corbyn as UK Labour leader compels me to put my foot down.  Support of him is not morally defensible.  And, to put it as nicely as I can, the overwhelming election of him by Labourites does not speak well of them at all.

He is a vile man in so many ways, including his history of anti-Semitism and his past support for IRA and Muslim terrorists.  His appointment to Shadow Chancellor just adds to his enormities. The appointee, MP John McDonnell, once said he would like to “go back to the 1980s and assassinate Thatcher.”  What a lovely man.

And, no, although working within Labour to oust Corbyn may be morally defensible for a Christian, support for him most emphatically is not, Bishop Pete Broadbent’s support for him not withstanding.

One wonders how Church of England authorities would respond to a bishop supporting an equally vile politician of the Right.  Oh, I think we already know.

Really, I was tempted to re-run a slightly edited version of my August post questioning Christian support for today’s U.S. Democrat Party because so many of the same principles apply here.  No political party is undeserving of robust criticism (And I am hardly a supporter of establishment Republicans or of Cameronite Tories, and this post is not to be so taken.).  But there is a point beyond which arguments of moral equivalence or indifference utterly fail as such arguments often do. And arguments to Christian freedom in various spheres, which I hold dear, also have limits.  And Labour has lurched far, far beyond said limits with the election of such an evil man.

Trust me I could say more.  And I am confident Mr. Corbyn will give us all much on which to converse.


By the way, Bernie Sanders is just “delighted” with Corbyn’s election as Labour leader.

No comments: