Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Bad Examples, Mr. Speaker

It is unfortunate that I think it needful to begin with a disclaimer, but . . . .   I do not support Donald Trump.  I think nominating him for President would be a serious mistake with long term and probably undoable consequences.  And I disagree with his proposal to completely pause Muslim entry to the United States.

Having said that, I will now say Speaker Paul Ryan, in denouncing Trump’s proposal, made an unwise and flat out wrong statement I would throw back at him if I were Trump.

“Not only are there many Muslims serving in our armed forces dying for this country,” Ryan said, “there are Muslims serving right here in the House working everyday to uphold the Constitution.”

Ryan should have stopped in the middle of that sentence.  There are Muslims who serve this country honorably in and out of our armed forces.  Good on them.  (I will leave aside the case of Nidal Hasan.)

But about those Muslims serving in Congress . . . .  There are two, Keith Ellison and Andre Carson.  They are both far-left Democrats.  So, no, they are not upholding the Constitution everyday; they are undermining it.

And trust me that more can be said about those two.  In 2014, the House voted 395-8 to support Israel’s Iron Dome program to protect it from rocket attacks.  Keith Ellison was among the 8.  But I’m sure he’s not an anti-semite.  And sooooo few Muslims are anti-semites, right?

But he is a baby killer.  He has such a rabidly pro-abortion record that in 2009 and 2011, he got a 100% rating from NARAL.  (Yes, I know Islam is opposed to abortion.  Remember that my point is that the two Muslim members of Congress are hardly honorable.)

As for Andre Carson, he has repeatedly race-baited the Tea Party.   He claimed Obamacare protesters yelled racial slurs at Black Congressmen, a claim well documented to be almost certainly a lie.    And in 2011, he said, “Some of them in Congress right now of this Tea Party movement would love to see you and me... hanging on a tree.”


So, sorry Mr. Speaker, those two are bad examples to use against Trump.   Most U. S. Muslims are not nasty work like those two.  So use better examples of American Muslims next time, thank you.

No comments: