Friday, August 12, 2016

I think like a Roman Catholic (or not).

Over at Fr. Z’s blog, there is a poll asking the following:
Should the [Roman Catholic] Bishops of the USA have us return to obligatory meatless Fridays during the whole year and not just during Lent?

My thinking is that fasting is commendable and that the adult faithful should be encouraged to practice fasting when health permits.  But to make it obligatory once a week is going too far.  And, besides, the Roman Catholic Church in the U. S. has much bigger problems to deal with.  (Don’t get me started on those!)  So I answered “No, this would be a really bad idea.”

And 3% of Fr. Z’s audience agrees with me.  3%.

I guess I really don’t think like a Roman Catholic.

I’m not into rosaries either.  But I heartily agree with the call of Fr. Zed and associates to pray for the U. S. from August 15th through October 7th.  (I would take it through Election Day myself, but I’m nitpicking.)  To say my view of the United States’ future is pessimistic would be an understatement.  We need all the prayer we can get and not only because of the two major parties’ nominees for President.


I would not be surprised if the Lord’s answer is to let us eat our own cooking for a few years.  But we should nonetheless pray and trust God to answer in his justice and mercy in due time.

No comments: